Whether you are juststarting out in your career or are nearing retirement, where you decideto live is among the most important decisions you will make. You have likelyconsidered where your city stands in terms of the monetary cost of living;however, have you considered how healthy your city is? An Oklahoma City estateplanning attorney at Parman & Easterday discusses how Oklahoma City ranksin terms of the nation’s healthiest cities.
What Data Was Compared?
To determine America’s healthiest – and unhealthiest – cities, WalletHub compared more than 170 of the most populated U.S. cities. The cities were compared using four key dimensions using 43 relevant metrics. Each metric was graded on a 100-point scale, with a score of 100 representing the most favorable conditions for a healthy lifestyle.
- HealthCare – Total Points: 25
- Premature-Death Rate
- Mental Health
- Mental-Health Counselors per Capita
- Physical Health
- Family Doctors per Capita
- Dentists per Capita
- Cost of Medical Visit
- Cost of Dental Visit
- Cost of Basic Medicine
- Quality of Public Hospital System
- Hospital Beds per Capita
- Adult Health-Insurance Coverage
- Youth Health-Insurance Coverage
- Share of Adults Who Visited a Doctor or a Dentist inthe Past Year
- Share of Adults Who Checked their Cholesterol in thePast 5 Years
- Mammography Screenings Among Women Aged 50–74 Years
- Share of Women & Men Aged 65 Years and Older WhoReceived Core Preventive Services
- Food– Total Points: 25
- Inadequate Fruit & Vegetable Consumption
- Farmer’s Markets per Capita
- Gourmet Specialty-Food Stores per Capita
- Healthy Restaurants per Capita
- Dietitians & Nutritionists per Capita
- Share of Residents Who Say They Eat Healthy
- Google Search Interest for “Healthy Eating”
- Share of Obese Residents
- Limited Access to Healthy Foods
- Fitness – Total Points: 25
- Share of Adults Who Engage in Any Physical Activity
- Well-Being “Physical” Rank
- Fitness & Instruction Centers per Capita
- Average Cost of Fitness-Club Membership
- Intramural Leagues per Capita
- Weight-Loss Centers per Capita
- Fitness Trainers & Aerobics Instructors per Capita
- Green Space – Total Points: 25
- Parkland Acres per Capita
- Quality of Parks
- Hiking Trails per Capita
- Running Trails per Capita
- Walking Trails per Capita
- Walk Score
- Bike Score
- Physical-Activity Access
- City “Greenness”
- Recreation Access
How Does Oklahoma City Rank?
Unfortunately for Oklahoma residents, out of the 170 cities tested Oklahoma City came in 142nd overall with a total score of 37.20. The city came in number 115 in the Health Care category and 109th in the Food category. In the fitness category, Oklahoma City ranked a dismal 157th and didn’t fare much better in the Green Space category with a ranking of 142nd.
Contact an Oklahoma City Estate Planning Attorney
Though we cannot do a great deal to make the city more healthy, we can help you better plan your estate. For additional information, please join us for an upcoming FREE seminar. If you have questions or concerns about estate planning, contact an experienced Oklahoma City estate planning attorney at Parman & Easterday by calling 405-843-6100 to schedule your appointment today.
Every adult can benefit from having an estate plan in place. Consequently, you should create at least a basic estate plan as soon as you become an adult.
Yes! You undoubtedly care what happens to the assets you do own. Moreover, an estate plan does more than just decide how your assets are distributed after you are gone. For example, an estate plan can help plan for the possibility of incapacity and protect minor children.
If you relocate, be sure to update your estate plan to account for major changes in your assets and debts as well as any important changes in state law.